There are plenty of things that you need to know about GPS tracking systems if you plan on picking one up. In its essence, a GPS (where GPS stands for Global Positioning System) is a device that provides time as well as geolocation. This is picked up using a receiver placed on earth or somewhere near earth.
Although it might take some time to grasp how a GPS system works, here are some things that you need to know about GPS tracking systems.
Types of GPS systems
Commonly used in fleet management, a hardwired GPS tracker helps owners of businesses to monitor as well as locate their fleet activity. This also gives them assurance as to whether the assets are safe. This can also be a method that will contribute to the reduction of theft activity because they are seldom detected by thieves.
A power source needs to be wired to the system so that real-time data can be transmitted. Examples of a power source for this purpose are the vehicle’s fuse box or the antenna.
Today, the power supply is more important than it ever has been before. The power supply is the heart of any well-designed computer system. It provides the power to the rest of the computer system. It can provide the power through different connections like a PCI Express (PCIe) connection, a SATA connection, an IDE connection, a Molex connection. The power supply can provide different voltages of power, such as 12 volt, 5 volt, 3.3 volt, and even -5 volt. If the power supply fails in some way, it can cause the computer to fail or become unstable. Designers of customer power supplies know there are many factors to consider.
When you need a power supply, there is little that is more important than considering quality. And, it is surprising how many companies out there making low quality power supplies. It is important to remember that not all power supplies are equal and where a mid-range power supply might be adequate for some people, a high end power supply might be needed for others.
Personal trackers are usually used to monitor pets or sometimes, even people. The tracker may be in attached to an accessory such as a bracelet.
This type of tracker is most commonly used to track dogs as finding a lost dog is a tiring and traumatizing ordeal.
Assets trackers can be used to track anything unless it’s a vehicle.
Asset trackers are used in supermarkets to prevent shopping carts from getting stolen. Some supermarkets have reported an increase in revenue after matching the items of the cart to the customer’s loyalty card. The information is then sent to the advertising team.
Most of the benefits come from using a GPS tracker for business purpose.
- Cost cutting: If a truck has a GPS tracker on it, it’ll prompt the driver to reach the destination on time. It’ll also incentivize the driver to clock in more hours which will be spent better than before.
- Less theft: A GPS installed vehicle wouldn’t have any trouble being located if it is ever stolen as you’ll know where it has gone.
- Customer service: Where the drivers are, and their availability can be checked by the dispatcher if and when a last minute client is added to the list.
- Fuel cost reduction: The route that the drivers would take will be accounted for and hence, they cannot waste fuel by going off course.
- Safety: Drivers would need to think twice before overspeeding as they’ll know that they’re being watched.